List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-05-31 7:11:57

Scott Wheeler <wheeler@kde.org> [020531 08:23]:
> > I don't understand at the moment, what is the benefit of a libary to parse
> > the xml documents? I mean there is an xml parser in qt, so why don't use it?
>
> Because that's more work than needs to be done.  Basically, the parser that I
> wrote yesterday and lib-ified was about 150 lines of code (comments and blank
> lines included).  It looks like we have about 6 apps that are vocabulary
> based.  It looks like KLatin for instance, and possibly others, will never
> need more than the one static parse funtion that I added yesterday.  So
> instead of writing 150-ish lines, Annma (just as an example here) needs about
> 5.

But how much code do I need to use the parser provided by the Qt lib? I have
never done this because I don't need to, but I think it will not be more
than just some lines.

> It also means that improvements to a standard parser will help everyone.  Also
> Basically it comes down to two basics: code reuse and interoperability are
> Good Things.  The library will encourage both.

Yes, why not reuse qt lib?

> I believe Ewald already wrote a DTD for kvtml (KVocTrain Markup Language),
> which is what FlashKard and KVocTrain currently use.

I think this is fine and enough. Everybody could build a xml file with this
DTD with the help of some tools.

I thought the libary will be for providing some functions for a common look
or something like this. Maybe I missed the thing ;-)

Steinchen
--
http://www.hpfsc.de/ - die Seite rund um:
Assembler, Bundeswehr, TFT LCDs, Halle/Saale, Fahrradtouren,