List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-05-31 5:18:34

Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 23:11 schrieb Scott Wheeler:
> On Thursday 30 May 2002 08:14 pm, Klas Kalass wrote:
> > I do not know much about library loading, but I think that everything
> > will be
> > loaded into memory when the app is started, including the depending
> > libraries. This might mean a huge overhead if one just needs some
> > scoring.
>
> I know that it depends on how systems implement shared libraries.  I'm
> really no whiz on this either.  However, evidence seems to indicate that
> this is not the case on Linux at least.  For instance, on my laptop (which
> I use at home and where I build with debugging disabled) my libs are:
>
> qt-mt   7220k
> kdeio   3304k
> kdeui   2520k
> kdecore 1780k
>
> Total:  14752k
>
> Which most KDE apps link to.  It seems to be possible to create a KDE
> application that uses less than 15 MB RAM.  In fact FlashKard at startup
> currenly shows 11 MB at start up (all of this is of course specific to my
> machine).
I don't know where the libs show up in the statistics, but shared libs are
only once in memory. So if you start an app that uses libs that are already
loaded you need to link to those libs (runtime linker) but not to load them
again. So this does not matter when other apps are loaded that make use of
those libs. But if I have a small kedu program that uses a little
functionality from the kdeedu lib and no other kdeedu programs running it
would be overkill.

> I'll do some more research on this once I'm back at work tomorrow with a
> real internet connection.
Good.

> And again, here I'm going more on convention than on knowledge.  All of the
> KDE GUI classes are in one lib, though you'll most likely not ever use all
> of them.  All of the Qt classes are in one lib, same again.
Yepp, but those are normally used by a lot of applications at once.

But maybe the overhead introduced by having everything together is very small?
I don't know any figures.

Klas