List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 21:48:49

On Thursday 30 May 2002 08:10 pm, Klas Kalass wrote:

> I am not sure if it is a good idea to try and support too many applications
> with this. XML is the one generic format and QDom is pretty easy to use. I
> support the idea to standardize on a format for vocabulary data and make a
> lib out of it, but I see no need to make it generic.

First, certainly noone will be forced to use this lib or the standard formats.
If you don't think it's right for your application, don't use it.

For vocabulary based applications I think the benefits are pretty clear.  Your
input here and others will be what help decide if a more general makup for
KDE Edu data is useful.  If there is a pattern that seems to fit a lot of
different applications, we can make things easier for people that want to use
it.  If that data can't be generalized in any type of useful way, then we
shouldn't spend the time trying to do this.

I'll put up an example.  HTML has many uses and is used in a lot of KDE apps.
Every application that uses HTML could implement an HTML parser.  But they
don't because it's silly to write 30 HTML parsers.  If there is a useful way
of generalizing educational data in a similar fashion that it is possible to
generalize hypertext markup, then it should be done.  I'm not convinced that
this is useful and that's why all of the input right now is good.

> I also support having KEduVoc as a prefix for those parts that are specific
> vocabulary applications.

Ok, again all of this is quite useful!  Thanks Klas!

-Scott