List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 21:11:45

On Thursday 30 May 2002 08:14 pm, Klas Kalass wrote:
> I do not know much about library loading, but I think that everything will
> be
> loaded into memory when the app is started, including the depending
> libraries. This might mean a huge overhead if one just needs some scoring.

I know that it depends on how systems implement shared libraries.  I'm really
no whiz on this either.  However, evidence seems to indicate that this is not
the case on Linux at least.  For instance, on my laptop (which I use at home
and where I build with debugging disabled) my libs are:

qt-mt   7220k
kdeio   3304k
kdeui   2520k
kdecore 1780k

Total:  14752k

Which most KDE apps link to.  It seems to be possible to create a KDE
application that uses less than 15 MB RAM.  In fact FlashKard at startup
currenly shows 11 MB at start up (all of this is of course specific to my
machine).

I'll do some more research on this once I'm back at work tomorrow with a real
internet connection.

And again, here I'm going more on convention than on knowledge.  All of the
KDE GUI classes are in one lib, though you'll most likely not ever use all of
them.  All of the Qt classes are in one lib, same again.

-Scott