List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 20:40:42

On Thursday 30 May 2002 07:38 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Please forgive for nitpicking.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have more descriptive tag names?

Yes, in fact I should be a bit more explicit on what is happening right now.
First, kvtml is something that has existed for a while and is used in
KVocTrain.  Also when I released the first version of FlashKard some months
ago I implemented a simple version of kvtml so that FlashKard and KVocTrain
could share data files.

kvtml, currently uses these undescriptive tag names.  At least FlashKard and
KVocTrain need to support this in the future.

What we are discussion now are really two different XML formats.  One that
will be used for vocabulary data and can be used by all of the vocabulary and
language based applications, and in my opinion *should* be used by all of
these applications.  This would allow users to share data between
applications and would make it easy for things like translation to only have
to deal with one format.

The second is a generalized markup that could be used for "educational" data.
I'll talk about that a bit further in my next email.  It is possible that the
vocabulary data format could be a specialized subset of this markup.

For the vocabulary data, we have an import question.  Can kvtml be extended to
meet the needs of general applications, and *should* it be extended to do
that.  This is still open for debate.

as depreciated but still support them for existing data files.  It should
also be possible to have the lib, on saving a data file, translate the old
style tags into the newer ones.  Since I still consider kvtml to be Ewald's
format I would like his opinion on this.

The other alternative is scrapping kvtml alltogether and starting from
scratch.  I'm not convinced that this is necessary at the moment.

-Scott