List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 21:20:40

On Thursday 30 May 2002 07:55 pm, Sebastian Stein wrote:

> I don't understand at the moment, what is the benefit of a libary to parse
> the xml documents? I mean there is an xml parser in qt, so why don't use it?

Because that's more work than needs to be done.  Basically, the parser that I
wrote yesterday and lib-ified was about 150 lines of code (comments and blank
lines included).  It looks like we have about 6 apps that are vocabulary
based.  It looks like KLatin for instance, and possibly others, will never
need more than the one static parse funtion that I added yesterday.  So
instead of writing 150-ish lines, Annma (just as an example here) needs about
5.

It also means that improvements to a standard parser will help everyone.  Also
it makes it easier to convince people to use the XML standard that we're
working on if you take the dirty work out of it and make it easier to use
than coming up with their own text file format (Do we really need a dozen?).

Basically it comes down to two basics: code reuse and interoperability are
Good Things.  The library will encourage both.

> Or do you mean not a libary? Maybe everybody is talking about a DTD
> (document type definition) for xml files containing educational tasks!? And
> yes there is something I don't like.

I believe Ewald already wrote a DTD for kvtml (KVocTrain Markup Language),
which is what FlashKard and KVocTrain currently use.

> The tags like <e> and <a> and so on are not speaking. If somebody looks at
> this xml document he don't understands what is going on. It would really be
> better to have something like: <exercise> or <answer>

I agree.  And this is exactly the type of thing that is good to look at right
now!  Thanks!

-Scott