List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] KLettres
From:       Anne-Marie MAHFOUF <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-04-30 21:29:19

On Tuesday 30 Apr 2002 9:08 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2002 01:27 am, Anne-Marie MAHFOUF wrote:
> > The fonts still are a problem. Maybe this could be configurable but how
> > does one know on his system which fonts are scalable? (accept a size
> > superior to 32?)
> > Does KDE detect a default font? For example for KControl?
>
> In KControl you can configure a General font which defaults to "helvetica
> 12" if the user hasn't changed it. (KGlobalSettings::generalFont()) There
> is no guarantee that this font is available in a large size though.
>
> I could add something like KGlobalSettings::largeFont() and then add some
> logic to find a suitable large default font. Would it be enough if
> "largeFont()" would return a "approx. 48 pt font"? Is one big font enough
> or would you need something like a "large font" and "very large font"?

Tha would be great! As for the size, I don't know. In the screenshots of
KLettres
http://edu.kde.org/klettres/screenshots.phtml
this is size 80 for the default font on my system.
(I put QFont("courrier") in the code and as courrier is mispelled, the system
takes a default font and uses the size I want. If I ask for times 80, I get
times 33 only.)

It seems that on other systems 80 is far too big.
I guess that 48 is quite good for klettres on all systems.

Thanks a lot for your help,

annma