List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: still kdeedu
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-25 16:20:19

On Thursday 25 April 2002 18.00, Anne-Marie MAHFOUF wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > And what's worse: Both programs don't even tell their users that
> > everything is about English words only. I'm sure if a German user is
> > confronted with a completely translated GUI for KMessedWords (s)he is
> > going to try German words for a while until it dawns on him/her that this
> > is not going to work. And most of them will dismiss the program(s)
> > totally after such an experience.
>
> Yes, ok.

> Please do tell us how to get that properly i18n'ed.
> - Are text files OK to get translated. If not, what format?
> - Where should the developer install these files so the translation teams
> are aware of them? in kdeedu/doc/khangman/?

Please, no, that won't work.

Just being in the doc subdirectory doesn't get them into the translation
chain, unless they are docbook files.  If they're docbook files, they need to
be valid ones, and there is no docbook markup that describes the data.
Non docbook files in the doc directories are not made available for
translation at all.

Only partially relevant, there are distributions that package the
documentation separately.  On those distributions, you could not rely on the
data files being installed at all, even in English.

Why not use the already working solutions that ktuberling, kstars, katomic
kalzium etc use?

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts