List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Fwd: still kdeedu
From:       Anne-Marie MAHFOUF <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-04-25 16:04:57

I sent it to kde-i18n-doc@mail.kde.org but I don't think it made it.

Subject: still kdeedu
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:00:26 +0100
From: Anne-Marie MAHFOUF <a-m.mahfouf@lineone.net>
To: kde-i18n-doc@kde.org

Hi,

> And what's worse: Both programs don't even tell their users that everything
> is about English words only. I'm sure if a German user is confronted with a
> completely translated GUI for KMessedWords (s)he is going to try German
> words for a while until it dawns on him/her that this is not going to work.
> And most of them will dismiss the program(s) totally after such an
> experience.

Yes, ok.

You point out some problems, could you please help with the solution?

The words for KHangMan are stored in text files like easy.txt and in easy.txt
you have just a list of words, one word per line.

Is xml better than text?
I prefer using simple text files because it's easier for a teacher to create
a simple text file with words than a xml one.

Please do tell us how to get that properly i18n'ed.
- Are text files OK to get translated. If not, what format?
- Where should the developer install these files so the translation teams are
aware of them? in kdeedu/doc/khangman/?
I guess that when the i18n-teams get them then each translated file will join
the corresponding i18n package.
- When they are translated, how will the program find them? i.e a French user
will get the i18n-fr package with the easy.txt translated in it. Where will
this file be installed by the i18n-fr package?

By explaining that clearly I think you will give us the possibility to deal
properly with it.

Thank you in advance

Anne-Marie