List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] kdeedu/i18n/common use
From:       Matthias Messmer <bmlmessmer () web ! de>
Date:       2002-04-25 8:00:15

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 23:12, Anne-Marie MAHFOUF wrote:
> Please read the following carefully.
> I don't know what to think. I feel he mixes internationalization with data.
>
> I don't feel like carrying on without asking kde-core whether the kdeedu
> module should go on or what.
> I invested a lot of time in this project and if it is to hear that it does
> not fit in KDE then I better stop now.
> I cannot imagine a kind of policy which would exclude all languages apps
> (which are the most asked for from users).
> I know we must unify stuff but was Rome built in 3 days??? Of course we
> will eventually come with a conjugation app for western languages but I
> don't think that we have enough developers to do that right now.
> I think that given 6 more months we'll reach a common look and feel and
> we'll share data, we'll unify progs. This just needs a bit of time. I know
> that all the developers do their best and I am really proud of what we
> achieved so far.
>
> I feel a bit low this evening, I don't know what to answer to Thomas, I
> don't know what to think.
> If someone could ask the core KDE team what they think about all that, I
> would be grateful.
>
> annma

> Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [kde-edu]: Re: kdeedu
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:43:03 +0200
> From: Thomas Diehl <thd@kde.org>
> To: kde-devel@kde.org
> Cc: Anne-Marie MAHFOUF <a-m.mahfouf@lineone.net>

> > Isn't it education that to learn new languages?
>
> Of course. But please consider the perspective of international users while
> designing the program or when picking already designed ones.
>
> It makes sense to have a something like KVocTrain in an international
> distribution where you can put in every kind of vocabulary in every
> language. It makes sense to have KTuberling where you can put in sound
> files for every language. It makes sense to have KTouch where you can
> provide training material for every language. But I don't think it would
> make sense to confront foreign users (and translators) with anything they
> absolutely cannot use without a lot of 3rd-party material.
>
> Please be aware that I'm just talking about the "policy" here. I don't know
> if this actually is the case with the programs in question (did not have a
> chance to look at them yet). Anyway, this policy is not just used on edu
> programs. KDE core mostly tries to only include programs which hopefully
> meet the needs of somewhat bigger international target groups (yes, I know
> this is not an exact science).
> //kids are not a big international target group?
>
> This, of course, does not mean that there is no need for extremely
> specialized apps or things of regional interest. (On the contrary!) But if
> they cannot be i18n-ed properly they shouldn't be included with the
> international core distribution of KDE.
> //annma: what does he mean by i18n-ed properly?
>
> > KLettres: internationalised. Ok but it needs sounds in the different
> [...]

I agree, that we should look over everything about the maximum use of i18n
features. Some apps use external files with translatable data, whis isnt
i18n-ed yet. I did it (with help from carsten) only a few weeks ago for
KPercentage.

But the main point here is  (imo), that we have a language problem with
language programs. Think of language lessons at school! Explain another
language by language. One educational approach is only to use the language
itself and some concrete objects, that means explain german in german or
spanish in spanish. Say "Apfel" and point to an apple! And pupils are made to
use only the new language to communicate. So it is a serious approach making
the GUI of KVerbos  (e.g.) in spanish. And it can be used "worldwide by
everybody" how wants to learn spanish seriously. One will decide to say, it
is too difficult: a spanish interface for learning spanish! But it is
educational reasonable (imo).

Greetings

Matthias

--