List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: [kde-edu]: Re: kdeedu
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-25 7:47:00

Hi,

First I'd like to say, that annma is doing a _really_ _good_ _job_ as kdeedu
maintainer! I don't won't to critisize the way annma is dealing with this,
but rather I'd like to talk about the vision where kdeedu is going. The
module is already now so great, that it would be a shame, people don't
install it at the end, because it's a collection of little, for most users
useless apps. There are very promosing beginnings of a kdeedu library, a
kcontrol module etc. I think, that is the basis that kdeedu should provide in
the long run, just as kdebasic doesn't provide all apps of kde, but the
basics the apps build on and additionally the most important apps on that
platform.

On Thursday 25 April 2002 07:11, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. April 2002 23:12 schrieb Anne-Marie MAHFOUF:
> > Please read the following carefully.
> > I don't know what to think. I feel he mixes internationalization with
> > data.
>
> Yes, he do.
>
> > I don't feel like carrying on without asking kde-core whether the kdeedu
> > module should go on or what.
>
> You can do this, but you see it is hard to describe the people the problems
> between data and i18n who are involved in the edu development. So how could
> you do this for people not knowing kdeedu very well? I think the answers
> you will get would not be very helpful.
>
> > I cannot imagine a kind of policy which would exclude all languages apps
> > (which are the most asked for from users).
>
> That is not the point and I think most people understood what the problem
> is. We really need this kind of apps but we also have to see if we can make
> them more universal. That would be the point to go into the policy:
>
> "Try to make your program universal and not connected to a specific
> language. The data sets should be loaded from standardized files so that it
> is easy to create a new data set for another language."

Yes, I agree with you. If the authors want to make the apps more universal in
the end, it is no problem, that they are not in the beginning. But I am not
sure, if the authors of the specialized language apps are really planning to
do so. Maybe they can comment on that themselves?

> > I feel a bit low this evening, I don't know what to answer to Thomas, I
> > don't know what to think.
>
> Well, I see a great step into the right direction. We are talking about a
> common look and feel, a way to configure the apps in one place and to make
> the apps more universal. That's great and we should go on!

Yes!!

Also I think, that there is too much weight on the fact if an app is in kdeedu
CVS or not. In my opinion, the user should get a good basic package with
kdeedu and the possibility to get other packages, that work well on that. But
kdeedu should not be overloaded with masses of small apps, that have 10 users
each (well that is a shameless understandment... but I hope you understand
what I mean). That doesn't mean these packages are bad or anything.
So the main question I see is, what is a basic package and how do we manage
the packages around. Maybe it's weird idea, but what about some kind of label
"partner app of kdeedu" and we'd have a list of these apps on the webpages.
This would make it possible that an app is hosted somewhere else (e.g. on
sourceforge), but that it is regarded as an app that fits into the kdeedu
idea. That would imply for the author, that he doesn't have to follow the
release cycles of KDE, which is also a quite good thing.
Also it would be nice if the kdeedu coders understand, that kdeedu cannot host
each program and that the goal is, to have as universal apps as possible. And
also, that they have a large responsibility for the users once the apps is in
kdeedu.
I don't think, we really have a consesus here.

Greetings,
eva