List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-edu-devel] KDE2+3 from cvs HowTo
From:       Primoz Anzur <zerokode () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-10 10:56:56

Greetings!

Well... Yesh... This is one way to access the new
KDE3, but I have found a much better sollution... Just
do this:

In the file called .xinitrc, somewhere in the last
lines goes:
exec $WINDOWMANAGER  <-- this will execute the command
for your desktop... We have to replace this with just:
exec path_to_your_kde3_dir/bin/startkde
^this will switch to the KDE environment ONLY....

when you boot up, this will start run your current
KDE2  session, because things in the PATH... To go
around this, just write a shell script, that goes:

>>begin kde3.sh <<
export QTDIR=path_to_your_Qt3_dir
export KDEDIR=path_to_your_KDE3_dir
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib
export
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:KDEDIR/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:path_to_
your_X11R6_dir/bin
startx
>>end kde3.sh <<

Well... This is about it... You don't need to create
another user or relogin.  A simple script.

Best regards. zer0Kode.

=====
I have Linux installed, but it just doesn't want to make coffee...