List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [Kde-edu-devel] more toolbar questions for kstars
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2001-12-10 6:11:31

Hello,

I'm trying to find out why the KStars toolbar isn't rendered properly under
KDE3.  I'm looking at the toolbar code in other apps for clues.  However, I
can't find another app that uses the KAction::plug() method for adding
buttons to the toolbar, which is what I am using in KStars.  Has plug() been
deprecated??  Or maybe since most apps use XMLGUI now, plug() just isn't well
tested?

I'd like to switch kstars over to XMLGUI, but the kstars toolbar contains a
custom QSpinbox widget, and the docs for XMLGUI at developer.kde.org only
explain how to add actions and separators to the toolbar.  Is there more
extensive XMLGUI documentation available?

KVoctrain uses toolBar()->insertButton() to add toolbar buttons (and its
toolbar looks fine), so I'm considering using this, but it isn't my first
choice, because I like using KAction to encapsulate toolbar, menu, and
keystroke items, and plug() just seems a more elegant way to do it...

Sorry for the long, rambling message, it's late :)  Any suggestions of
another app that still uses plug() or advice about what to try are most
welcome!

thank you,
Jason

PS- Ewald, I had to move the LangRef struct in LangOptPage.h to the "public"
section (instead of "protected") to avoid several "LangRef is protected in
this context" link errors.  I wasn't sure if this was a good thing to do, so
I didn't commit the change to CVS, but I wanted to let you know about it.

--
KStars: A K Desktop Planetarium
http://kstars.sourceforge.net