List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: new project / ktimes?
From:       Geert Stams <gstams.1 () hccnet ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-05 5:17:47

Op Sunday 04 August 2002 14:35, schreef Michael Hofer:

Hello!

I wanted to make a few comments on the discussion regarding ktimes / the new
math app:

First you had to choose the type of
> calculation you wanted to practise (additions, substractions,
> multiplications, divisions,....) and then the difficulty (how many
> digits,...).
> The reason why this was fun to play was that you had very limited time to
> type in the results - it was a race against the clock. After you typed in
> the result, there was a short message saying "right" or "wrong" and
> immediately after that, the next equation appeared.
> If you typed no answer within the time limit, the program continued to
> throw the next equation on you. The time you had for each equation, got
> continuously shorter while playing.

Michel you where / are probably very good in math. This excercise is very
fustrating for the children who are not so good. Differences with 11 year old
children on multiplication tables are for the best 150 equations solved for
the worst student just 30 in 4 minutes. I suggest 2 modes: racing mode and
practice mode. This would make the program wider usable. I agree racing
against the time is fun and can be motivating!

> I see it more as a "mental arithmetic trainer" than as an "educational
> aid". I want to emphasize the competition-aspect - it should feel more like
> a game in which you try to beat the "highscore".

Automating several types of math equations is a important job. Most important
are the additions and substractions below 10 and in a further stage below 20
and the multiplication tables. Software can play a very important role in
this because 1. It can (has!) be fun 2. It take over the job from the teacher

> Possible features I have in mind include:
> - different difficulty levels

Yes please a LOT, maybe it is possible to make the software adjustable. Before
going to the next level a certain goal has to be met. If a goal is not met
you go back 3 levels..... I sent an e-mail to Anne-Marie some time ago about
levels. I probably lost it with a re-install, but maybe she has it....

> - different combinations of arithmetic operations

If possible selectable

> - point-system (dependent on speed, accuracy, difficulty,...)
> - highscore-lists

See my first comment
> - 2player-mode (on one pc / network?)

Great

> What do you think about all those ideas?
> I don't know if it would be better to integrate all this in ktimes or to
> start a seperate project.
> If integrated in ktimes, there could be two different modes (as mentioned
> in the plans for the kcontrol-module):
> - a "child mode" for learning (with all the fancy graphics, images,...)
> - and an "adult mode" for competition (maybe with a more "conventional"
> interface?)

Have a look at tuxmath you can acces it via tux4kids website.

Maybe it is a good idea to have these discussions on this reflector, I
unsubscribed the kde-edu-devel reflector because I didnot understand the
e-mails I received most of the time.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Geert