List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: new project / ktimes?
From:       Michael Hofer <michaelhofer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-08-05 20:44:51

Hello!

Am Montag, 5. August 2002 07:17 schrieb Geert Stams:
> Michel you where / are probably very good in math. This excercise is very
> fustrating for the children who are not so good. Differences with 11 year
> old children on multiplication tables are for the best 150 equations solved
> for the worst student just 30 in 4 minutes. I suggest 2 modes: racing mode
> and practice mode. This would make the program wider usable. I agree racing
> against the time is fun and can be motivating!

I haven't thought about this problem yet, but I think you are right. There
should be a practice mode (aka ktimes ;-) and maybe also a "game mode"
without that much time-pressure....

I had a look tuxmath and I like the concept of integrating the equations into
a real game (remembered me of "the typing of the dead" :-). It would be nice
to do something similar, but I think a true (and good) "game mode" would need
more development-resources (time/people) than there seem to be available
right now (any volunteers? ;-). I want to concentrate on the practice- and
race/competition-mode - at least for the first version....
Despite that, we have to think about "gameplay"/rewards for these modes
too....
Race-mode shouldn't be too difficult: Beating that damn highscore (or your
opponent in multiplayer) should bring some motivation....

But what about practice-mode? There need to be rewards or something or it will
become boring soon - even if the GUI consists of nice pictures,...
An idea I have in mind is to uncover images/animations/.... that are divided
into sectors part by part by solving equations. But would something like this
be fun to play (for young children)? Any other (better) ideas?

> Before going to the next level a certain goal has to be met. If a goal is
> not met you go back 3 levels..... I sent an e-mail to Anne-Marie some time
> ago about levels. I probably lost it with a re-install, but maybe she has
> it....

Good idea...

> > - different combinations of arithmetic operations
> If possible selectable

I will try to develope a flexible system with predefined and user-definable
difficulty-levels and combinations.

Thanks for your comments/ideas!
servus,
Michael