List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    [kde-doc-english]Re: Attn all: Markup Changes
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-28 3:59:44

 From: Thomas Diehl <thd@kde.org>
 > As you know, the German team is not only removing puns and jokes but
 > also all personal strings, most exclamation marks, and other indications of
 > "subjectivity" from GUI and doc files in their translations.

I agree with the general idea there, although a certain amount of
"subjectivity" can give the author a bit of feeling of ownership of the work.
When you're not getting paid, and your only recognition is users writing to
ask random questions about Linux installation, putting a bit of your
personality in the doc is a morale booster.

But, exclamation marks? This may be entirely different in German than in
English but, for example, consider the new feature in Konsole that allows
commands typed in one shell to be echoed in all open shells. I included a
warning to take extra care when using it, and followed it with a "!" that I
strongly hope stays there. Kwuftpd is another app that I think deserves all
the exclamation marks I put in there!!!!