List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Igor Gilitschenski <igi-g () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-08-21 22:08:46

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:56:00PM +0200, Per Wigren wrote:
> The installer could just be a shellscript that is executed by:
> # wget -q -O - http://install.kde.org | sh
> or
> # lynx --dump http://install.kde.org | sh
I think, that this is an interesting design Idea. But KDE is a DESKTOP
and not a shell environment. Maybe there should be several installation
ways. But we would finally end up to offer different packages for
different distributions with different compilations.
It doesn't sound like a big deal but let's count a little bit:
There are at least 3 Major distributions, which run on at least three
major processor plattforms. So we would need at least 9 different KDE
compilations. Now you should imagine somebody decides to create a
system (we have a current discussion on this), with weekly builds of
KDE. We are talking about large amounts of memory. I think creating own
servers with own solutions optimized for each major distribution would
fail. THat's why an installer is IMHO something, which handles Software
Distributions. A king of gapt by KDE for evry format and not DPKG only.

You might question the advantage of my thoughts. Let me explain you
this. Nowerdays many people switch from one distribution to another,
while keeping their Desktopn environment. I see a main goal in ensuring
this distribution change to be as easy as possible. This should be done
by offering a tool which is able to handle different packaging formats,
so people won't have to use YOU (YaST Online Update) or apt anymore if
they could have a tool, which is on evry system unique.

> The script should check what distribution is running, ask a few easy
> questions and then download the correct rpms/debs/tgzs and rpm -i/dpkg -i/tar
> xfz them...
As I mentioned yet, this is not that easy.

Igor
--
"Sun believes the only place for 63,000 bugs is a rain forest."
-Sun Microsystems