List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Meir Kriheli <mksoft () netvision ! net ! il>
Date:       2001-08-22 0:49:19

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 00:38, Nick Betcher wrote:

Excuse me if I'm re-iterating but here goes:

I like apt a lot, and it installed KDE for me with no effort at all (had hell
of a time doing the same on Mandrake. I'm also building from CVS on a
LinuxFromScratch machine ), but I'm not sure it is the best solution for the
auto-installer problem.

We need a solution that will work for different distros, OSs and CPUs. So why
not take advantage of the source.

KDE has been a source distribution for a long time and the binaries were up
to the packagers, so why do we want to change this ? We can elaborate on the
current scheme.

Make the installer download the sources and rebuild KDE tailored to the
target platform (file locations, compilers, apply needed patches to the
sources if needed by the platform etc).

This well prevent us from storing and maintaining different binaries for the
different platforms. What we need to maintain are the sources (we already do
this) and the build specifications for the target platforms, which is much
simpler, this will save allot of storage for the mirrors).

The installer could also generate and leave binary packages in the target
platform's native packaging format if there's a need to install in several
machines to save the compile time on them (maybe this packages can be shared
later - in something like freenet's' operation - the installer will have a
binary proxy location - thus having the best of both worlds).

This can be expanded and instead of downloading the source, it can prompt the
user for the stable release or the bleeding edge cvs release and get it from
the cvs (but I'm not sure this would be a good idea - if the user can't
install kde from source himself, should he be allowed to use cvs ? I don't
know).

Something like the operation of : apt-get -b source ..... (but like I've said
I'm not sure if apt is the correct way to go).

The installation process will be something like:

1. A shell script is downloaded and executed.
2. The script downloads the source for the installer and builds it.
3. The installer is executed and downloads the sources and platform specific
files.
4. The installer builds and installs kde - possibly leaving native binary
packages for further use.

--
Kriheli Meir