List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       "Mark W. Webb" <markwebb () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2001-08-21 17:03:31

I am in on the development.  Just tell me where to start.  In short, my
KDE/Qt experience is about 6 months.  I have been doing professional Java
programming for about 3 years.  I studied C++ for about 3 years before that.

I will try and summarize my point concerning many of the postings on this
thread.

I see that Ilya and Nick are going in different directions.  I started this
thread hoping to get ideas on how to develop a KDE installer.  I think alot
of great ideas are coming out of these discussions.  I like the idea of a
statically linked Qt application.  This will cover the problem of someone
who does not have KDE installed at all. But are assuming that they are
running X.  Which I think is a valid assumption.

The server issue could be a problem.  But my arguments to that are:
1. If we want to increase KDE's popularity, we will always face bandwidth
issues. More KDE users = more KDE downloads.
2. By trying to keep people more up to date, we have the possibility of
having less bug reports.
3. I think there are enough mirrors to spread the download requests.(This
maybe a naive statement)

The package management topic is very important.  If we as a community come
together on this, we should make this a requirement for all KDE packages.

Because KDE is a system that works on MANY different OS's, we must take into
account the different OS's.  It is disappointing to see the arguments
between SuSe/RedHat/Debian.  That is not why we are here.  We are supposed
to be working together to advance KDE.  If we want to make KDE a better
desktop environment, IMHO this is something we should have.  It was said
yesterday that many users have 'downgraded' KDE to 2.1 because the 2.2
installation was too difficult.  Now many of you may be using OS's that make
upgrading easy, but different people use different OS's for different
reasons.  We must accept that.

For those of you who want to work on this, we should come together and get a
design so that we are not all working in different directions.  I am very
flexible as to how this should be done, I just want to see it happen.

Thanks......