List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-08-21 17:41:31

On Tuesday August 21, 2001 04:01, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> The biggest disadvantage of Red Carpet (at least in #kde channel on IRC)
> is that its using the "competing" desktop's technology. I personally
> have no problem to use it - as we say "use the right tool for the right
> job" and IMHO - it is the right tool, so the disadvantage is more
> "political" then technical (which makes me wonder - we use libXML from
> gnome and no one seems to have problem with it) - so it's up to the
> core-devel team to decide wether to embrace it or not...

If you recall, I was probably speaking against this more than anyone else
in there, and I said there were two big disadvantages:

1) supporting RPM and DEB limits you to a subset of Linux-based OSes,
abandoning the rest of the Linuxes, and forgetting completely all
non-Linuxes.

2) The Linuxes that this tool *does* support all have their own upgrade
tools already.  Who do you envision using this tool?

> So the question remains - if the KDE team will adopt red-carpet as an
> offical X86 installers (I doubt other platforms needs it since they got
> an established packaging mechanism and the last thing they need is an
> installer - like Sun or SGI).

How can we have an "official" installer when the only "official" packages
are source tarballs?

> I have checked the alternatives - and here is my conclusion..
>
> * Yast/Yast2 (SuSE), URPMI (mandrake), up2date (Redhat) - they're all
> like a first generation updaters/installers - some of them for example
> don't have proxy support, some gives me a nice message ("you're system
> is updated - even that it didn't get KDE 2.2") and others simply don't
> have KDE 2.2 in their update database..
>
> * Kinstaller - it looks very nice, but it's still in development (65% if
> I'm not mistaken) and it needs to be finalized and to be tested. It also
> doesn't have many features that I mentioned above.

What about KPackage?  It's more portable now than Ximian's tool ever will
be.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.