List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-21 11:16:41

3 people if I count correctly ;)

1. Ilya - who is modifiying the Red Carpet - I belive you should see the
results within a week or so..
2. Nick - on Kinstaller
3. Mark Webb - although I'm not sure about him...

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 14:09, Jonathan Bacon wrote:
> Good points hetz...but I think the issues surrounding the political
> issues of red carpet are non only political.

Ahha.

> I think lots of people want to see it fill into the desktop in terms of
> visual and technological issues. We would possibly want to use DCOP, and
> we certainly want it to be part of the KDE style the user is using.
>
> It may be an idea that Red Carpet is hacked towards a KDE/Qt version but
> I don't know. I just look forward to seeing what is created as a result
> of this thread.

The problem is - even if you cut corners and make static binary of KDE/QT to
be included on the installer (remember - installer size DOES matter!) - then
you can quickly passes the size of the original (3MB), which would make the
installation painful for dial-up users...

> Who is actively going to work on this installer?

Answered above ..

--
Hetz Ben Hamo
hetz@kde.org