List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 Problems
From:       John Gluck <jgluckca () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-18 1:21:22

Hi Milo

I understand your thoughts. In a perfect world everything would work seamlessly
with everything else. Alas, that's not the world we are born to.

Many developers start out doing something that they think is fun and useful to
them. Then they decide to share it with others who might find it useful. As others
have observed, many open source projects are a bunch of volunteers with limited
resources  in hardware, software, and time.  For these reasons and perhaps others,
not all packages will work on all systems.

As far as "shipping" a product with known bugs goes, if all products were help to
being bug free before shipping, nothing would ship and Bill wouldn't be a
billionaire. The trick is to try and get something to the point where it is useful
and doesn't crash or destroy data. If there are a few somewhat annoying bugs, it's
still better than nothing at all. This doesn't mean that an effort shouldn't be
made to eliminate bugs in a timely fashion and to improve the product in other
ways. It just means that reality is, there will be bugs.

As far as it goes, KDE is a good product. There are a few annoyances but I am
happy to live with them. I try to point them out in the hope that they will be
fixed but I don't expect instant results.

The KDE team and everyone who tries to help out in some small way, deserves a big
round of applause for doing a fine job. Keep up the good work people.

John

Milo Hyson wrote:

> That's valid, but I think larger projects (like KDE itself) should be held
> to some sort of standards when it comes to cross-platform operation. For
> example, draw up a list of OSes that the project must be functional on out
> of the box before it ships. Require several different successful
> installations on each platform before it's deemed stable. Yes, I know this
> is more of a corporate way of doing things rather than the loose-knit open
> source style. But when it comes to reputation, one can't be too careful.
>
> Shipping a product in the midst of a half-dozen complaints about the same
> key system not working is bad, open-source or not. There's a saying in
> business that goes (paraphrasing) "For each person who complains about
> something, there are 1000 that didn't."
>
> If what's needed are facilities, then my company's various laboratory
> machines are at the community's disposal.
>
> - Milo Hyson
> CyberLife Labs, LLC

[SNIP]