List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 Problems
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-08-17 6:27:57

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:23:39PM -0400, John Gluck wrote:
> I downloaded the final release of 2.2 sources and compiled them. Then of
> course ran my new KDE and had a few problems.
>
> Currently I am using a 2.4.7 kernel, X4.1.1 and Qt 2.3.1. The last
> version of kde that worked well was kde-2.2beta1. This was compiled from
> source as well.
>
> What I've noticed:
>
> 1- kdesupport is missing from the distrbution. (it was also absent in
> beta1)

It's not needed (libaudiofile and libxml2 are included in all distributions
anyway)

> 2- Many of the screen savers that were available in beta1 are no longer
> there.

Maybe you have to run kappfinder to integrate the xscreensaver screensavers?

> 3- Enable a screensaver and wait. You will be logged out and fall back
> to kdm.
> 4- Lock the screen. The enter password dialog will appear but no
> screensaver.
> 5- Kdm no longer remembers the last user.
> 6- Use kdm to resart the xserver and it will crash. The virtual
> terminals will not work and you can only reboot.

Looks like you have problems with your kdm. Did you compile with the right
settings for your unknown system? Is kcheckpass suid root?

> 7- The sound server issues a message at log in "Sound server fatal
> error. Bad md5 cookie" and artsd doesn't start.

No idea about that one.

> In short I've gone back to beta1. I think the team needs to re-release
> 2.2. Perhaps the server failure caused a problem somewhere.

I am using KDE-2.2 self compiled and the SuSE 7.2 packages on several
machines without any problems at all.

(apart from the fact that the korn
preferences dialog still crashes in web style)

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net ICQ# 3585990
wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB