List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 Problems
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-08-17 5:11:54

Hi!
> Hi
>
> I downloaded the final release of 2.2 sources and compiled them. Then of
> course ran my new KDE and had a few problems.
I'm following 2.0 CVS from the times of 2.0 launch.

> My method is to create a directory called /opt/kde-version and softlink
> that to /opt/kde. That way I can keep an old version around and switch
> back easily. This also insures that everything is completely fresh. In
> /usr/src I create a directory called kde-version and softlink it to
> /usr/src/kde. Then I untar the various source distribution packages into
> /usr/src/kde. I erase the user's .kde directory when I start the new kde
> so it will be rebuilt.
Time by time, I'm erasing old kde completely. Between, I'm installing over
the older version. I did the full cleanup while 2.2 was tagged.

> Currently I am using a 2.4.7 kernel, X4.1.1 and Qt 2.3.1. The last
> version of kde that worked well was kde-2.2beta1. This was compiled from
> source as well.
X4.1.1 does exist ? I didn't find it on their ftp and I'm not using CVS
there... Is it released, or is it a development version ?

> What I've noticed:
>
> 1- kdesupport is missing from the distrbution. (it was also absent in
> beta1)
It's intentional. Its contents became common in major distributions so it
became useless. You don't need it anymore.
> 2- Many of the screen savers that were available in beta1 are no longer
> there.
I have 20 .kss files in my /opt/kde/bin, about 3 of them require GL.
How many have You ?
> 3- Enable a screensaver and wait. You will be logged out and fall back
> to kdm.
Can't reproduce here. Normally using screensaver and never observed this.
It must be the Xserver crash. Nvidia drivers ?
> 4- Lock the screen. The enter password dialog will appear but no
> screensaver.
I just did. My selected screensaver appeared. After moving a mouse, a passwd
dialog appeared. After entering a password, it unlocked.
> 5- Kdm no longer remembers the last user.
Works here. kdm even automatically places the cursor to the Password field.
Configuration problem ?
> 6- Use kdm to resart the xserver and it will crash. The virtual
> terminals will not work and you can only reboot.
Not experienced here. I just tried it for verification. Even the shutdown/
reboot works, requiring root password first. Well done!
> 7- The sound server issues a message at log in "Sound server fatal
> error. Bad md5 cookie" and artsd doesn't start.
Not experienced here. Just listenning to Mamma mia from ABBA :-)
> 8- Kdevelop seems to find the path for the documentation but when you
> try to create an index, it insists the path to the documentation is bad.
> Going back no longer allows you to set a path to the kde docs.
Not tested yet :-(

> There may be other things but I didn't play with it long enough to find
> out.
Of course there may be but it's not an argument :-)

> In short I've gone back to beta1. I think the team needs to re-release
> 2.2. Perhaps the server failure caused a problem somewhere.
I'm really happy with 2.2. The konqueror has much less bugs (there are still
some annoying ones, hey, Dirk, did You already looked at it as you promised
:-) :-) ?) - but it is pretty usable - much better than any competitor on
Linux.

> John
  I wanted to start writing that Your environment is broken but I noticed
that You wrote that Beta1 was working. Then I can't imagine anything which
could make You these problems. I already made my private binary distribution
of 2.2 and cloned it to several machines at my work. It works perfectly, there
is only one machine, where the X server often crashes (4.1.0 used) but I
can't blame KDE from it.
  Maybe the distributed source archives are really somewhat broken ? Try to get
the KDE_2_2_BRANCH from CVS and recompile...
                                        With regards, Pavel Troller