List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Printer configuring
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-07-31 15:47:10

> > IMO, what could be done to avoid part of the problem, is to integrate the
> > default paper size into localization settings, so that the default page
> > size will always be correct.
>
> Or at least a question in kpersonalizer ( I know I have a different or
> extended opinion on the purpose of kpersonalizer ;-).

You may think about a configuration widget where the user would setup his default
print settings (something accesible easily from the print manager or some other
place -> see below). The fact is that I only have PageSize in mind, maybe there
are some other system-wide options that could be setup:

Option		Possible in Qt-2.3.x
------		--------------------
pagesize		Yes
orientation		Yes
margins			No

Any other idea?

> IMHO it should lead the user to a functional desktop without digging through
> kcontrol, hence asking for printing, mail/news settings and font size and may
> be others.  These settings are at least as important as styles and other
> optical effects.

AFAIK, kpersonilalizer is only intended for graphical setup, not for system
configuration. However you may think about an easier access to some features of the
print system, notably from start menu. In the area of "Quick Browser", you may
think about a "Printers" submenu containing something like:

Add printer
Global settings
<list of installed printers>

Selecting the first item would popup the wizard, the second item would popup a
global config dialog (like default Page Size), and selecting a printer would start
the job viewer for that printer

I think it is possible to "plug" something into the start menu, but I don't know
how, and moreover I don't know if many people would find it useful.
Comments?

Bye.
Michael.