List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Printer configuring
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-07-31 7:39:35

kotorosl wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sorry an unexperienced one for the stupid question...
>
> How can I configure my HP Laserjet 4L to work correctly with Konqy and
> KMail? When printing the page it seems to start just from the top of the
> sheet, and additionally the upper part is cleared on aprox. 5 mm height.
> Cups configuring does nothing. How can I fix that?

It may be helpful sometimes to specify which KDE version you're using. There
were some margins problems that were temporarily fixed on 25/06 (note that
2.2beta1 should contain the fix). You could then experience print problems
using CUPS and a printer with small margins (defined in PPD file). However
the problems then were clipping on right and bottom side.

Now, the page margins are hardcoded (in Qt and I can't do anything about
that) and set to : left/right = 36, top/bottom = 22. If the physical margins
of your printer are larger than these values, then you may have problems.
Somebody already reported this problem using a HP Deskjet printer. The bad
thing is that I can't fix the problem as I don't have any control on margins
(Qt doesn't provide an API for that).

What you can try is to print to a file from Konquy, view the result with gv
to check everything is normal, then print the file using command line tools
(lpr). If the problem occur, than I'm afraid I cannot fix it. Sorry.

Bye.
Michael.