List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE CVS udate question
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-30 16:49:25

On Friday 30 July 2021 01:17 pm, Bastian Voigt wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I am an unexperienced cvs user, that means I downloaded the sources from
> cvs the first time today.
> Now if I update the sources via cvs up, do I need to do a "make clean" or
> something like that to remove the old object files etc. or can I speed up
> compilation keeping the object files that have not changed?

Yes, just do "make"

> Can this cause any problems?

Yes. Usually you will get a build error during linking when that happens.
Sometimes you get very strange errors that suddenly disappear when you
recompile from scratch. "make clean" might help then. Sometimes that is not
enough though, and you will need to rerun "rm config.cache; make -f
Makefile.cvs;./configure --enable-debug"

> In case you are annoyed by questions like these,

Well, that's what this list is for :-)

> is there any FAQ/HOWTO/tutorial on using KDE CVS?

Yes, see
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/howto/develHOWTO.html

Cheers,
Waldo