List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE CVS udate question
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-07-30 18:46:11

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021, Bastian Voigt wrote:

> I am an unexperienced cvs user, that means I downloaded the sources from cvs
> the first time today.
> Now if I update the sources via cvs up, do I need to do a "make clean" or
> something like that to remove the old object files etc. or can I speed up
> compilation keeping the object files that have not changed? Can this cause
> any problems?

No need for "make clean" (usually). Cvs ignores your objects.

One better way to it is to keep the srcdir and builddir separated.  In
srcdir you do a "make -f Makefile.cvs" and in builddir the usual
sequence of:
$HOME/cvs/kdelibs/configure -blablabla (your options, assuming cvs is the
                                        where you keep the stuff)
make
su
make install
exit

That way you can even nuke builddir without losing the sources.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org