List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-27 23:06:28

Hi,

Well, Sun studies are nice, but it is problematic from some points. Allow me
to share it with you:

1. Using "Start" is a simple balant copy from Windows. This point can be
arguable...

2. You're putting text into graphics which is a very problematic in terms of
i18n - do u know anyone who is serious to create this "start" button for 56
languages? text inside graphics issue has been discussed previously on the
i18n mailing list and it has been agreed not to put text inside graphics
(that, btw, why you don't see a version number in the KDE Splash screen when
you start KDE).

3. I had the pleasure to let some kids play here at home with some of my
machines and they were playing with KDE. Those kids got right away what is
the "K" button and used KDE without any problem. Same thing for some other
people who barely used windows and I helped them - they didn't need me to
know where is the "start" button...

4. Try to put the panel vertically - and as you can see - "start" graphics
will be shrinked too much..

What i CAN suggest is to open a tool tip for the first time user (after
kpersonalizer runs the first time) - and open a tooltip very close (but not
attached) to the K button with a small flashing arrow toward the K button -
explaining what is this.

How's that?

Hetz