List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster startups by fixing C++ object files before linking ( 30-50% faster startups )
From:       Yves Glodt <y.glodt () vo ! lu>
Date:       2001-07-27 19:09:06

On Friday 27 July 2001 00:01, Leon Bottou wrote:
> Reading Waldo Bastian's text on C++ shared libraires gave me some
> ideas. Eventually I spent a few nights trying them.
>
> The proposed scheme modifies the object files before linking
> in a way that reduces the number of expensive relocations.
> Startup times are reduced by 30 to 50%.
>
> See the attached files for details.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Leon Bottou

This looks like KDE needs it.
Couldn'it also be interesting for gcc-people, since the compiler
creates the objects?

In the meantime it would be a good solution for distributors/packagers,
and since many people use rpm's or so, many people could have a faster
kde.

This is really worth thinking about!

yves