List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kio* (aka How I lost my sanity)
From:       Eric Princen <eprincen () privacomp ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 22:40:02

Hi all,

First I'd just like to say thanks. I've been using KDE since it first
went public. It's the only major desktop that seems concerned with
usability and stability. Not to say there isn't another one that's
really pretty, but I can never seem to get stable versions of it to work
for a tenth the amount of time that my CVS builds of KDE always seem to.
Since it's also much easier to develop for a clean and stable system,
KDE seems to move faster. Pat yourselves on the back. Not too long. I
wouldn't want to be responsible for ego issues...

OK, that's not why I came here...

When I have some time, after kayaking season in Colorado, I'd like to
contribute. That should be in time for 2.3. I've been thinking about
this whole io-slave thing. RSS feeds, hardware configurations and
status, running processes, dynamic libraries, EJB servers, java class
browser, CORBA orbs, you name it... Anything that has properties can
have a visual representation in konqueror. Any objects within the
running system can have a visual representation (or many,) and even
methods for interacting with said objects. MVC at work. You can see how
quickly one can loose sanity thinking about it. I'm halfway there
already (on second thought, maybe that's just my normal state.)

So my question, which is why I came her in the first place...

Do you people want all this neat crap in KDE? Is that where it's
intended to go, or have I just hit my head on one too many rocks (a
possibility?) If you want to explore just how rediculously far this
model can go, I wouldn't mind helping, when the time becomes available.
I'm just looking for nods at this point. I wouldn't want to get all
goofy with the possibilites just to find out nobody wants it. I can
imagine it getting downright silly at some point. It can also be
extraordinarily cool if done correctly.

-Eric ;-)

--
Eric Princen