List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt/Windows Available Under New Non-Commercial License
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 22:53:26

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 03:22 pm, Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Trolltech's newest announcement could help efforts to port KDE to Windows,
> don't it? Since we don't charge anyone, there should be no problem!
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/company/announce/noncommercial.html
>
> Ciao, Matthias

Not exactly no problem, as Matthias Ettrich pointed out on LT today. There
are issues with the GPL. Ironically these issues might also affect you if you
were using the commerical license as well. See the GNU GPL section of the
above link.
------(copied from web page)
Qt non-commercial edition and the GNU GPL
 The GNU General Public License (GPL) is a popular free software license
widely used in the Unix/Linux world. The GPL is published by the Free
Software Foundation (see http://www.fsf.org). One of the key features of the
license is that it does not permit the distribution of software linked to
non-system libraries that are distributed under different licensing terms.
Although Qt non-commercial edition is available free of charge this
prohibition nonetheless applies to it.

If you wish to port one of the many GPL'd Qt-based Unix applications to
another operating system using the Qt non-commercial edition, you need to get
that application's copyright holders to add an exception to its license.
Similarly, if you develop a new application with the Qt non-commercial
edition and wish to license it under the GPL you may wish to add such an
exception to your license. The Free Software Foundation has provided the
following wording for such exceptions:

As a special exception, <name of copyright holder> gives permission to link
this program with Qt non-commercial edition, and distribute the resulting
executable, without including the source code for the Qt non-commercial
edition in the source distribution.

Note that such an exception is not required for code released under other
free software licenses like the GNU LGPL and BSD-style licenses.
------(end copied from web page)

So it is sort of a funny issue huh? Anyone want to catalogue license
exceptions?
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team