List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE and Gcc 3.0
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-19 18:14:45

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 18:54, Till Krech wrote:

> Hi, I can't comfirm that arts doesn't work. I compiled nearly everything
> with GCC 3. There was one problem in kdelibs/arts/flow/convert.cc with two
> assembler statements which didn't properly compile. I just modified one
> line in this file so that the non assembler versions of the functions
> convert_stereo_2float_i16le and convert_stereo_2float_i16be were used.
> Now, arts works and (at least) plays the startup sound. kdebase compiled
> without any problems though there were some interesting warnings, e.g.:
> netpref.cpp:24: warning: passing `double' for argument 2 of
>  `QVBoxLayout::QVBoxLayout(QWidget*, int, int, const char*)'
> In koffice there were three problems with std::fabs, std::cos and std::sin.
> I just commented out the std:: (although I'm not shure if this is correct)
> and everything compiled and seems to run without problems.

I like it when the behavior of some software I get is different from what
others are seeing ;-)

> Compile time is slower, I would say 150-200 % of GCC 2.95.1

Don't the GCC folks on their website say something about FASTER compilation?
Maybe they are referring to C code only and not C++. However, compilation
time is not really the most important issue, as long as compiling itself is
possible at all...

> The problems, I have encontered seem to be rather trivial. I would
> recommend to fix the parts which do not compile properly so that they
> compile on GCC 2.95.1 and GCC 3.0, if needed, with #ifdefs.
>
> At least some of the users will compile kde themselves and perhaps also
> with the new gcc, not knowing that there may be problems.

This is probably an option. However, I would say that the KDE team should
probably keep telling users that 2.95 is the preferred compiler at the moment
- who knows what kinds of problems users compiling with 3.0 will get, and
then they will complain here, although the problem is with their compiler.
According to the release announcement I got in my eMail (also on the GCC
website), it seems as if the GCC team is going to release a maintenance
version of GCC 3 shortly. I don't think that I will make GCC 3 my default
default compiler before that. As long as GCC 3 somehow interferres with my
KDE experience, I don't think that it's a good idea using it.

Greetings
Nils