List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ioslave for cd burning
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () magnifire ! net>
Date:       2001-06-19 10:14:56

> > - An ioslave that can handle many features requires a lot of specials
> > functions (ex: setting speed, cd type, data type, and so on).
>
> Start simple, I would suggest. See below.

And put the settings in Kcontrol module (like the CD Audio IO slave)

> [...]
>
> > - made cd burning totally transparent (saving a file on /mnt/cdrom will
> > burn the cd, if /mnt/cdrom is a cd writer), IMHO, require modifications
> > directly into kio_file
>
> I think this would require the UDF file system (Packet CD Writing), and
> would require more work on this in the Linux kernel, to mount such a disk.
> I would not work on this, if I can suggest it to you.

Right now, the USD CD writing packets is very experimental. I'm playing with
it sometimes, but it got some issues like formatting CD-R/W to the wrong size
(only 443MB).

> > - do you think that all of this make sense ?
>
> That's a nice question. Maybe looking at some CD burning programs would
> help more and clarify the situation, so that one program could went into
> CVS (larger userbase). Something like X-CD-Roast or GCombust or
> GnomeToaster, but for KDE.
> So check www.koncd.de, the kreatecd homepage and k3b.sf.net. I think k3b
> looks good, but requires some work.

I think a good idea will be to make some sort of "virtual" CD where you can
put up to 650MB files, and then let the user to "close" this "CD" so it will
do on-the-fly an ISO and burn it (something like what X-CD-Roast does)..

> > - do you think that an ioslave for cd burning is useful ?
>
> The UDF approach would require an ioslave. The normal burning not, I think.
> A killer CD burning application would be more compelling, and could be
> extended to packet burn CDs via an ioslave when the UDF driver in the
> kernel is out of the HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL state!

Agreed.

Hetz