List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ioslave for cd burning
From:       Matthias Posseldt <matthi () gmx ! li>
Date:       2001-06-19 12:49:48

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 12:14, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > > - An ioslave that can handle many features requires a lot of specials
> > > functions (ex: setting speed, cd type, data type, and so on).
> >
> > Start simple, I would suggest. See below.
>
> And put the settings in Kcontrol module (like the CD Audio IO slave)

Only, if you really do not write a program on its own! Better use a
configuration dialog for a program (Imagine Nero's options in the Windows
System Control Center).

> > [...]
> >
> > > - made cd burning totally transparent (saving a file on /mnt/cdrom will
> > > burn the cd, if /mnt/cdrom is a cd writer), IMHO, require modifications
> > > directly into kio_file
> >
> > I think this would require the UDF file system (Packet CD Writing), and
> > would require more work on this in the Linux kernel, to mount such a
> > disk. I would not work on this, if I can suggest it to you.
>
> Right now, the USD CD writing packets is very experimental. I'm playing
> with it sometimes, but it got some issues like formatting CD-R/W to the
> wrong size (only 443MB).

I just had a look into the Configuration Help Text of the Linux kernel. And
it says that writing won't be supported by the kernel indeed, but only for
reading disks (DVD's mainly).

> > > - do you think that all of this make sense ?
> >
> > That's a nice question. Maybe looking at some CD burning programs would
> > help more and clarify the situation, so that one program could went into
> > CVS (larger userbase). Something like X-CD-Roast or GCombust or
> > GnomeToaster, but for KDE.
> > So check www.koncd.de, the kreatecd homepage and k3b.sf.net. I think k3b
> > looks good, but requires some work.
>
> I think a good idea will be to make some sort of "virtual" CD where you can
> put up to 650MB files, and then let the user to "close" this "CD" so it
> will do on-the-fly an ISO and burn it (something like what X-CD-Roast
> does)..

An on-the-fly approach without an image file would be best, I think. Linux
terribly lacks such an opinion (mkisofs on the fly) in most cd-burning
programs.

> > > - do you think that an ioslave for cd burning is useful ?
> >
> > The UDF approach would require an ioslave. The normal burning not, I
> > think. A killer CD burning application would be more compelling, and
> > could be extended to packet burn CDs via an ioslave when the UDF driver
> > in the kernel is out of the HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL state!
>
> Agreed.

The actual burning of data/audio could be handled by an ioslave. But the
collection of data would require a program, too. So I suggest a program for
the task and a library (ioslave style) or ioslave for burning.

Ciao, Matthias

--

Go Open Source and build software that doesn't crash even when it's hit
       by an U.S. Navy submarine piloted by rich civilians.