List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High performance liquid screenshots
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-11 12:46:29

On Sunday 10 June 2001 21:12, Uwe Thiem wrote:
|   From my point of view, this whole discussion about legal issues with
|   Daniel's newest style is pointless for various reasons.

[...]
|   Daniel's newest style is awesome. I want it. No need to bog down for
|   Apple. Maybe we asre the first. So be it. We are bleeding edge. That
| means sometimes we do bleed. Most times it means we are the edge.
|
|   Uwe

From my point of view, discussion thread raised on kde-devel is useful and
highlights many important points.

But, returning back to topic ("High performance liquid" style).
I guess this style should be just fixed do not remind some other "water-like"
styles, and included into KDE distribution. either kdebase/libs, kdeartwork
or kdeaddons.
Currently, all gradients (in QT or some window managers, like Blackbox,
Sapphire, etc.) are calculated using linear interpolation.
// correct me if I am wrong
Ok, it gives gradient effect, but ... everything looks like the same in all
WM's and apps.

Why not to do something really different, with better effects and better look?
Let's take not linear (ax+b) but *cubic* interpolation (ax3+bx2+cx+d).
probably, Bezier curves already implemented inside KDE ow QT, so they can be
used.
Instead of providing just 2 colors for gradient, you will be able to provide
4 colors (or 2 colors with 2 *control points*)
So, you will have better look than Apple or MS, no legal issues and cool
style.

Best regards,
--

Vadim Plessky