List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-06-10 20:59:27

   Hi!

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 07:56:25PM -0400, Jay Oliveri wrote:
> I myself can be considered a professional musician (signed, gigs..) and
> I'm also a programmer; glad to see a thread of this kind.
>
> On Wednesday 06 June 2001 05:49 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > I think the aim should be for a program that can create generic
> > notation but for many types of instruments, and variations such as
> > tab and drum scores.
>
> The most popular tool in the industry right now is ProTools
> (www.digidesign.com).  Most recording studios run it; some on the
> PC/Win platform as well.  Of course it's very expensive.  AFAIK you
> need to purchase hardware along with the software as a bundle.
>
> > I really hope this discussion can be the inspiration for the creation
> > of a really cool scoring program. Maybe the authors of KGuitar,
> > Noteedit, Brahms and Rosegarden could collaborate on a new scoring
> > editor.
>
> Personally, I think that a killer app should be started to fulfill the
> higher end niche.  Linux is currently doing it as a server in much of
> corporate America, whether the suits know it or not.
>
> I think something that does excellent editing, integration with ditital
> tracks, time-coding etc. could be a great thing for the Free Software
> Community at large.  Forget Sony, Time Warner, Universal, EMI, ...
>
> I am of course volunteering to contribute in the areas of design and
> implementation (coding).  If nothing else I'll run with it myself, get
> a stable base design then accounce it when I think people can
> contribute in a meaningful way.

Well, I think for the realtime signal processing/synthesis/effects/
modularization part, aRts is the perfect choice. It's integrated in KDE,
which makes it quite well-test, widespread and stable. I think it should
be able to compete with other engines such as the Protools solution or VST,
and it has the advantage that it is really far in development.

I think most applications like RoseGarden, Brahms, Anthem or NoteEdit will
need to do audio one day, and that day, if they choose aRts as backend,
things will stay compatible. I.e. effects that get developed will be shared,
and so will be technology such as midi synchronization, powerful harddisc-
recording or synthesis capabilities.

I'd recommend everybody who wants to join development to join the
kde-multimedia list and/or the aRts list. You can also drop me a mail if
you don't know where to start doing something ;).

   Cu... Stefan