List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High performance liquid screenshots
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-06-10 21:12:00

From my point of view, this whole discussion about legal issues with
Daniel's newest style is pointless for various reasons.

1.
Daniel, you did copyright the style to yourself, didn't you? So the
only person taking a risk is Daniel. If he chooses to do so it's his
choice! What is KDE? KDE is a worldwide network of volunteers. A network.
KDE is no legal entity at all. KDE e.V. is not KDE. The KDE League is
not KDE. In fact, we founded KDE e.V. to have a legal entity handy to
deal with Trolltech back then. Nobody can send a cease and desist letter
to KDE because KDE doesn't exist in legal space. They can send it to
Daniel. Again: If he wants to take the risk, his choice!

2.
But if Apple sends a cease and desist letter anyway? Whom to? Kurt because
he is the speaker for America? Martin because he is the the speaker for
Europe? They still aren't KDE!!!!!! Having the most anarchic development
model in the OSS world isn't a development speed advantage only. It also
is an advantage when it comes to lega issues. KDE is noting a court can
get its hands on. :-)

3.
What about Linux distributions shipping Daniel's newest style? It's
their choice. Either they are willing to take the risk and ship it, or
they are not. Then they leave it out. Their choice, not ours!

4.
When Apple tried to chew our arses back in 1998 (?) we bogged down.  Back
then, my stand on it was to bite back. This is even more true right now.
Some cases aren't solved in courts. They are solved in the open public.
Appple basing their GUI on BSD and trying to sue an OSS project? I'll go
for it!

There are times to keep a low profile. There are times to stand up and
speak your voice. This is one.

Daniel's newest style is awesome. I want it. No need to bog down for
Apple. Maybe we asre the first. So be it. We are bleeding edge. That means
sometimes we do bleed. Most times it means we are the edge.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org