List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-06-10 21:28:13

   Hi!

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 01:31:06PM +0200, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> Hey, cool stuff! I've been thinking about doing something like that all the
> time. Three weeks ago I finally started something (together with two friends
> of mine) and we began playing around with a lot of ideas.
>
> Our ideas so far:
> - create a program that can be extended to do anything concerning Multimedia
> (Midi, Wave, Video, Scoreprinting, and whatever else comes to mind)
> - if possible, use aRts to have access to all the different media types
> - put all the different media tracks together to create one big project
> (biggest problem: sync - especially if you use aRts)

Well, use aRts whereever possible. I don't think reinventing a new framework
will make users happier than they are. Instead - aRts - which is already
a powerful framework for realtime media processing should get added
capabilities whereever required. For instance synchronization:

I think that sampleprecise timing is essential. Currently, aRts only supports
the untimed .start() and .stop() operations. So what would be required would
be

1) a timestamp counted in the flowsystem
2) a "transaction" class which can run several .start() operations and maybe
   others (like setting parameters) at a given time

so things like that definitely should go into aRts.

   Cu... Stefan