List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-06-09 14:47:34

This has been on my pet idea list for a long time.  I use to use Steinberg
and Notator on my Atari, and I still make use of the software and
hardware.  I would really like to see everything being discussed here,
especially the plug in architecture with an eye towards new
hardware/software combinations so you could do things like *good* hard disk
recording.  This could be quite a coup.

I don't know if Brahams has an extensible enough architecture or if
Rosegarden is along that line.  I would suggest that it be built more to Qt
than KDE if possible and if there are several projects that are working on
different bits, we should try to get everyone together and see what
synergies might exist and what time might be saved in getting the
groundwork together.

If there isn't a list for this topic, maybe we can make one and start
assembling the interested people.  Sequencing/HD/scoring is hugely
important in the music and film industry.  One of the products we did in
the old days as smpte lock up for film on the Atari.  The big innovation
was that the smpte counter was huge on monitor so that it could be seen
from across the room.

Since spending the last couple years trying to learn Warr guitar instead of
playing my keyboards, I've gotten a bit out of touch with the latest
standards in technology, so I need to get myself back up to speed, but I
would like to participate in this as well.

Maybe Mattias mailing list is a place to work from, or we could host one,
whatever works.  We should go through sourceforge and apps.kde.com and see
what complimentary software already exists and see if we can get people
together.

those are my thoughts.  anyone else interested?

At 04:31 AM 6/9/2001, you wrote:
>Hey, cool stuff! I've been thinking about doing something like that all the
>time. Three weeks ago I finally started something (together with two friends
>of mine) and we began playing around with a lot of ideas.
>
>Our ideas so far:
>- create a program that can be extended to do anything concerning Multimedia
>(Midi, Wave, Video, Scoreprinting, and whatever else comes to mind)
>- if possible, use aRts to have access to all the different media types
>- put all the different media tracks together to create one big project
>(biggest problem: sync - especially if you use aRts)
>
>Our works (not much):
>- an idea for a simple framework (subject for discussion)
>- a waveview widget (just beginning)
>- a zoomscrollbar widget (I saw one like it in a windoze video program)
>
>The whole thing has a CVS repository and mailinglists on my server. Take a
>look at http://kms.Kretz.dyndns.org/
>
>I'd really like for it to become something usefull, or even better ;-) and it
>would be great to have as many people interested in it as possible to help
>bringing it to life.

> > > Right.  And the Tab interface should be a plug-in, since it's guitar
> > > specific.  I would say, music-illiterate-guitar-specific ;)
>
>sounds cool
>
>[..]
> > > I am of course volunteering to contribute in the areas of design and
> > > implementation (coding).  If nothing else I'll run with it myself, get
> > > a stable base design then accounce it when I think people can
> > > contribute in a meaningful way.
> >
> > I'm another person who has this on my "someday" list. If you have similar
> > goals and are starting something please let me know so I can see how
> > "someday" is looking.
>
>We're still in planning stage. It would be cool to have more input from
>people who know what's going on.
>
>--
>C'ya
>         Matthias