List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Matthias Kretz <kretz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-09 11:31:06

Hey, cool stuff! I've been thinking about doing something like that all the
time. Three weeks ago I finally started something (together with two friends
of mine) and we began playing around with a lot of ideas.

Our ideas so far:
- create a program that can be extended to do anything concerning Multimedia
(Midi, Wave, Video, Scoreprinting, and whatever else comes to mind)
- if possible, use aRts to have access to all the different media types
- put all the different media tracks together to create one big project
(biggest problem: sync - especially if you use aRts)

Our works (not much):
- an idea for a simple framework (subject for discussion)
- a waveview widget (just beginning)
- a zoomscrollbar widget (I saw one like it in a windoze video program)

The whole thing has a CVS repository and mailinglists on my server. Take a
look at http://kms.Kretz.dyndns.org/

I'd really like for it to become something usefull, or even better ;-) and it
would be great to have as many people interested in it as possible to help
bringing it to life.

> > > To be honest what we need is a KDevelop equivilent for score
> > > creation. A main interface with lots of plugins.
> >
> > Right.  And the Tab interface should be a plug-in, since it's guitar
> > specific.  I would say, music-illiterate-guitar-specific ;)

sounds cool

[..]
> > I am of course volunteering to contribute in the areas of design and
> > implementation (coding).  If nothing else I'll run with it myself, get
> > a stable base design then accounce it when I think people can
> > contribute in a meaningful way.
>
> I'm another person who has this on my "someday" list. If you have similar
> goals and are starting something please let me know so I can see how
> "someday" is looking.

We're still in planning stage. It would be cool to have more input from
people who know what's going on.

--
C'ya
        Matthias