List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kControl - File associations
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 7:47:13

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 09:07, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
> The other day I asked why in koffice the "file save"  does not append the
> extension (kwd to kword)  any more.
> David answered, that the file is recognized by its mimetype.
>
> Beside the fact that I'd like to have this bahaviour configurable (append
> extension yes/no) to allow command line inputs like "l *.kwd"
>
> the kcontrol "file association" as it is now becomes invalid (or not?) and
> definitely needs explanation.
> A kspread file saved as test.kwd is recognized as kword file.
> Who will do this ? me, if I am dreaming !

It's just as it has always been in KDE.
* Extension isn't mandatory, but if it's set then it's _prioritary_ over the contents
* If unknown extension or no extension, then we look at the contents.

If you want that a kspread file saved as test.kwd doesn't look like a kword
file, then we have to remove the .kwd extension for kword files. Is that what
we want to do ? [It'd still work just fine btw].

Extensions look ugly IMHO. Especially the KOffice ones.
"KWD" ? How unpronounceable is this, compared to e.g. "DOC" ?
The point now, is that you can name your files the way you want. With .kwd,
or .doc, or .myfile, or .kword, etc. (ok, just not .jpg :). Isn't that better ?

About the filetypes module, yes, it doesn't let you see how the
mimetype-determination-from-the-contents works. That would be quite too
technical to show anyway (magic strings etc.), for 99% of the users.