List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Intel Compiler Beta
From:       "Jonathan Belson" <jon () witchspace ! com>
Date:       2001-05-29 12:22:50

Hiya

> > Just for info, is icc any faster than g++ ? I mean both the
> > compilation speed and the efficiency of the generated code.
>
> I haven't done much comparing of gcc and icc on linux (on windows I
> used it alot).  It seems, icc for linux doesn't have precompiled headers
> (yet?), but I need to check again to be really sure, because for windows

Does gcc currently have precompiled headers?  I thought that was something
that would appear with gcc 3.0

> it has, so I'm confused right now, but am not under linux.  Anyway if all
> codegen options are turned on, icc can be quite slow, but the then

Slower than gcc??  Boy, that's slow.

> produced code is beyond all dreams.

This doesn't really suprise me since gcc doesn't produce particularly
great code for Intel processors.

Is icc code being integrated into gcc?  I guess in the meantime speed
critical sections or a project could compiled with icc and linked in
with the rest (using luvverly C wrappers where necessary, of course).

--
C-YA
Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>