List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Intel Compiler Beta
From:       Christoph Bartoschek <bartoschek () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-05-29 13:19:18

> Currently Intel's icc isn't able to produce shared libraries out of box,
> and even if it was, it wouldn't support static objects.

I do not understand that. I've compiled qt and got the shared libraries. The
programs in qt-2.3.0/examples work fine. They are all dynamically linked
against libqt. That's why I would say icc is able to produce shared libraries.
Or have I missed something?

What do you mean by supporting static objects? A link would be sufficient.

> Even if that would work, libtool wouldn't support/know this compiler, so
basically
> don't try yet icc and KDE.

I would expect that libtool is able to learn a new compiler. This seems to
be a minor problem.

> I've opened some issues with intel, and as
> soon as icc is able to produce shared C++ libs, KDE might become
> compilable with it.  Just wait.

I've read a lot about gcc's terrific c++ implementation. That's why I expect
a performance boost with platform specific binaries compiled with icc. Even
people with Athlon processors should profit because icc's i386 code much is
better than g++ one's.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the link, but Intel said something about up
to 30% faster binaries. There is one Document, which describes some
performance issues of
icc:

http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/linux/opt_convert_linux.pdf

Till now I can only state that compiling qt was much faster than with
gcc/g++ (7 min instead of 12 min), but this is not representative.

Thanks

Christoph

--
Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a

http://www.gmx.net