List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-05-28 9:34:25

> Windows software is distributed in binary form with the source rarely being
> available, so binary compatibility is essential.  Here the source is
> available so long term binary compatibility is pointless.

Whether the source is available doesn't interest me a bit. I'm not going
to compile my whole operating system from sources.

> Linux broke hardware compatability in shiftin to libc6 with almost nobody
> noticing,

Nobody noticing? In our group, after an update to Red Hat's libc6 junk
basically none of the applications we use daily worked any more.

> it simply isn't a major issue in a source based OS.  If you break
> binary compatibility then you force someone (usually the distributer and not
> the user) to do a recompile, hardly a arduous task.

Yeah, distributing software for 20 twenty Linux distributions with 3
incompatible versions of each is not an arduous task. Welcome to cloud #9,
far away from reality.

> Having said that, KDE 1 binaries can run run under KDE2 by installing QT1,
> kdesupport1 and kdelibs1.  Different library symbols make this relatively
> simple (libqt -> libqt2, but an application specifically linking libqt1 gets
> it).   Theoretically the same will apply with KDE3 vs KDE2, although it might
> be a little harder as more active IPC mechanisms become popular.

Reality check? Currently, applications linked with kdelibs from HEAD don't
work simultaneously with applications linked with kdelibs 2.1. And that's
going to become better?

Bernd.