List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KGesture and DCOP Interfaces
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-24 19:51:48

On Thursday 24 May 2001 10:42, Mike Pilone wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I wrote KGesture the other day. It is a gesture recognition application
> for KDE. As far as I know, it is the first of its kind and offers
> something MS doesn't.
>
> Problem 1:
> ----------
> KGesture relies heavily on DCOP to communicate with running applications.
> Most of the feedback that I have been getting back from users is that they
> can't do what they want because the application doesn't make it available.
> I was wondering what the possibility of increasing the number of methods
> available in a stub is? Does performace take a hit as the number of
> methods in an interface increases?

I don't think performance is an issue here.

> For example, most users want back() and next() from Konqueror exposed so
> they can control the browser with gestures. Also, minimizing applications
> (I suppose through a KWin interface).
>
> What are the chances of getting these exposed? Is KGesture going about
> this the wrong way?

No, this is exactly what DCOP is for. The problem is that application
developers often don't use this themselves so they don't think of making
functionality DCOP accesable. Can't you activate "actions" (KAction) via DCOP
btw? I would assume that back() and next() (?) are based on KAction.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com