List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       Gioele Barabucci <dev () gioelebarabucci ! com>
Date:       2001-05-23 16:41:50

On Wednesday 23 May 2001 15:26, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As most of the people here know, QT 3.0 beta 1 was released yesterday to
> the public..
>
> I would like to ask the kde developers and leaders:
I'm not a kde developer nor a leader, but from the side of an advanced user
this is what I can tell you:

> 2. will it only be used on KDE 3.x?
This is very reasonable since KDE2 was released with QT2... why create
confusion in our little users' minds? :)

What I most care is: there are _still_ some KDE 1.1.2 users that are not able
or are in progress to switch to KDE 2...

Another thing is that IMHO KDE 2 is not old enought to grows up. KDE 1 was a
child, KDE2 is a boy and KDE3 will be a man. KDE2 is great but everyday there
are things that comes out and that can't be changed because of binary
compatibility. KDE 3 will be the place where BC would no longer be a problem
and everything can be corrected. Now, why do not wait until Qt3 is stable (4
or 5 months) and keep note of all the things that need to be broke? Switching
the HEAD to KDE3 development is a way to put KDE2 to dead with no possibility
to get those important information to flow anymore. This is called "2nd time
syndrome", isn't it?

> I don't know about the majority of European/American KDE team/users - but
> here, the Israeli/Arabic users would greatly benefit from QT 3.0.
I read of this new features in the Qt3 annuncement and I'm sorry that you and
your co-inhabitants can't use your own language right now in KDE:
localization is one of the best things I've seen in unix/qt/KDE!

--
Gioele Barabucci (Gb])
) mailto:dev@gioelebarabucci.com