List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: optimizing
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-30 13:00:39

Hello,

I have been running KDE out of the CVS for a while now on a Celeron 333
with 128MB RAM, and I find the machine perfectly usable. I suspect that
because you are having performance problems it is a problem with
something else on your system.

Some options of what could be wrong could include:

 - artsd - artsd can sometimes hog 98% of the CPU (it did this a lot a
few weeks back for me).

 - slocate - slocate often hogs the CPU

 - ld.so - so does ld.so

The best thing you can do is to run top to identify what is taking up
the resources.

I don't use any extra flags for performance when compiling.

One other thing to check is that your 128MB RAM are being used when
using your system. Sometimes if you specifiy the amount of memory you
have to the kernel it just wont see the extra memory.

Good luck!

	Jono

Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org
KDE/Qt Developer