List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror resolving domains
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-13 5:38:51

On Thursday 12 April 2001 19:52, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2001 00:03, John Mark Walker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've come across an odd "feature" in konqueror - it doesn't seem to
> > recognize domains commonly used to serve banners ads. The 2 that come to
> > mind the most are adforce.imgis.com and ad.doubleclick.net.
> >
> > I keep getting "Unknown host adforce.imgis.com" and "Unknown host
> > ad.doubleclick.net." Of course, I can ping both of these URL's, and
> > Netscape connects to them just fine.
> >
> > Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind so much, except that I'm a web developer, and
> > I can't test whether my code is wrong when putting new banners in a web
> > site. This means I always have to pull up the big ugly beast of a browser
> > - Netscape - just to verify that changes I made are correct.
>
> Very interesting... I've been seeing the same problems, but I didn't
> realize they came from Konqueror itself (well, kio_http rather).

Well well well...  I am not the only that saw this from time to time then, great :)
I just ignored it because I thought it was simply a timeout issue for on my
connection, but now I am curious since both of you experience the same thing
FWIW, I usually got this with some not all of the ad.doubleclick.net banners on
top of LinuxToday.

> > Was this intentional or what?
>
> I don't think so. Can't be found in the sources :)
> (And it would be quite stupid if it was - a dialog box is even worse than
> an ad :-)
>
> I can only think that this is related to the KSocket changes. Anyone
> knowing KSocket could test this ? I tried ksocktest but it's a bit...
> strange :)

Hmm... I am not so sure about this change being the cause because I used to
see this issue a long while before these changes were made.  My hunch was
improper resolution of relative URLs ???  Hmm.. maybe not!  Oh it could however
be that these ad banners are asscoiated with a cookie.  If these cookies are then
rejected automatically through a set policy or manually, all subsequent requests to
retrieve images from such sites might be rejected ??

> > Additionally, along the same lines as this, I notice that konqueror
> > doesn't resolve domains on my network whenever I type just the host
> > without the full domain and "http://" That is, if I type "vaweb" is goes
> > to a google search, but if I type "http://vaweb" it goes to our internal
> > web server (as it should).
>
> That's a FAQ and it's unrelated. This is due to the "internet keywords"
> feature.

Well Dawit saves David sometime and writes the FAQ for this since he has been
meaning to do it for a while now :)  Will post to konqy's FAQ site sometime tomorrow

Why does konqueror redirect me to Realnames or Google when I type names
for machines in my own domain/network ?

This is one of the most frequently asked question.  There are a few valid
reasons why this does not work like say in Netscape and of course there
is a workaround for it.

1.) DNS look-ups can in some circumstances be very very slow!  Most people
    are not affected by this since their /etc/resolv.conf are not large and thus name
    resolution is fast, but this is still an issue we had to consider.

2.) Neither one of the two filters currently available perform any DNS lookup
    to resolve improperly formatted URLs.  And these filters are also NOT used
    at the low level IO-subsystem where such DNS lookups make sense without
    incurring an overhead for doing unecessary multiple lookups!  So the filters \
simply  use some heruistics to resolve the malformed or improper URL.

3.) Another reason a lot of people seem to overlook is that there is no way even
    with a DNS look up that one can correctly determine what service is being \
requested.  For example, if you run both an ftp and http server on a specific machine \
which one  is supposed to be invoked when you simply type the name of your machine ?  \
Netscape  simply defaults to the webserver (port 80) even if that service does not \
exist at a given time.
Here is the current workaround to fix this problem:

- Simply create a file named kshorturifilterrc under $KDEHOME/share/config, where \
$KDEHOME  is the directory where your local kde config is located, and add a config \
group labeled   "Pattern Match".

- Under this new group enter a name=value pair of the domain you want to be matched \
and the protocol  to be used.   For example, if my local machine name is "workgroup" \
and I had both ftp (on port 21) and   http (on port 80) servers running on it I would \
simply add the following to the file mentioned above:
   [Pattern Match]
   ^workgroup:21=ftp://
   ^workgroup:80=http://
   ^workgroup=http://

   If you have an instance of konqueror already running, do ALT+ F2 and type (or cut \
and paste  the following command to update the running instances with the new \
entries:

   dcop konqueror KShortURIFilterIface configure

   NOTE: The first entry is a regexp (actually a QRegExp) based entry that simply \
                means to match
              anything that begins with the given text.  NOTE: currently the \
                characters "[" and "]" are
              not supported in  the given regexp because of a problem with how these \
values are handled   when they are read back.

   NOTE 2: If you are a system adminstrator and want these values to be available to \
                all users on a
                particular machine, simply make the changes in the system config \
(under $KDEDIR/share/config)  instead of the the local config directory.

   For KDE 2.2, we hope to resolve this issue by making it very simple to add these \
exceptional cases  to your list or even perhaps creating a new filter that performs \
DNS lookup before attempting to  redirect to a given site.

Regards,
Dawit A.