List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2beta1
From:       Sergio Moretti <sermore () libero ! it>
Date:       2001-03-31 8:43:32

On Friday 30 March 2001 23:07, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2001 11:16, Sergio Moretti wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 March 2001 06:40, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > * new kio-slave configuration
> >
> > 4th one, I CC to you because it seems that my messages are a bit
> > slowly accepted in kde-devel.
>
> No need to send them 4 times though.

they were different versions

> > I patch the ftp slave to use the new conf, and it seems to work ;)
> > for me it's time to wait for you opinions.
>
> Well, as I said earlier, I don't like the slave asking for stuff. I
> rather just send it the relevant stuff. In the meantime I have added
> the framework for sending configuration from the application-side to
> the slave.

IMO the slave request stuff is needed, to permit the implementation of
such things like the per-host configuration, i.e. the implementation of
a way to update the slave state while it is running asynchronously from
job. Said this, there is nothing that prevent the job to send conf to
slave, i.e. you can consider it an add-on that a slave implementor can
use or not.

> The next step is to make the configuration manager at application
> side. One problem there is that it must decide which config items are
> relevant for which slave. (With the slave asking for config-items
> itself that would have been easier)

have you take a look at the code? It seems that this issue is resolved
using the job's url protocol, if you are talking about some more
fine-grained resolution, like "slave initialization" data, or
"slave-job connection" or something similar, the best way is that the
requester asks for right data (the requester can be the slave, but can
also be the scheduler, as I have done to implement the slave's
initialization)

> The configuration manager will lookup slave settings itself with the
> possibility for an application to override some or all of the
> settings, or add extra settings.
>
> When that is in place we can convert the slaves to use the new config
> stuff, instead of having them read there settings themselves.

This is the reason why I sent 4 versions, to avoid to duplicate our
works, but it seems that the list is very slow, and what I had publish
yesterday morning came up only in the nigth.
So please spend some minutes on attachements, maybe you will find some
solution ready to work. The latest I sent is roughly working, it lacks
some issues like reparsing and it has some bugs here and there, but it
has a complete application manager, you can even test it adding some
entries to /tmp/kioconfig file in [ftp start] group (take a look at
kio/ftp.h for the list of parameters)

I continue to CC, to avoid you to read this tomorrow

cheers,
	Sergio